Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Let’s do the math…

Your auto mechanic holds a license.
Your hairstylist holds a license.
Your plumber holds a license.
Your Realtor holds a license.

So, why on Earth would your Home Inspector not hold a license? A Home Inspector’s report is one of the most relied upon pieces of information in the home buying and selling process.

The Sunday Indianapolis Star published an article about the new Indiana law that came into effect last Friday requiring Home Inspectors to hold a license. Indianapolis currently has only 60 licensed inspectors.

As a Realtor, I hold a license. I must renew my license every other year and in order to do so, I am required by state law to take 16 units of continuing education courses and pay a licensing fee. If I fail to complete these requirements, I will lose my license to sell real estate.

The idea that some Home Inspector’s are upset about this new law befuddles me. Why shouldn’t they been licensed? The salability of a home frequently depends on a home inspection…if a deal on a home is going to fail; it’s usually during the inspection period.

After all, you wouldn’t have your hairstylist fix your car…would you?

1 Comments:

Blogger torporindy said...

That seems logical to me as home inspector wield a lot of power. They can break a sale in an instant.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home